Thursday, January 29, 2009

another video: introduction to NVC



"The basic purpose of Nonviolent communication is focused on creating the quality of connection between us, between us as a community, between us as a world, in which we trust that everyone's needs are going to be met."

One thing that really stays with me that this speaker shares is when he says he "tries to remember to be gentle with himself in the many instances in which he is not able to do it". I think this is key to success. Rather than paralyzing ourselves with negative self-talk and criticism, we remind ourselves that we are human and we need opportunities to make mistakes in order to learn.

I also like what he means when he says "When we learn NVC, we don't suddenly become 'perfect' giraffes, in fact, 'perfect' is a jackal term!". How great it is to remember this!

I don't know about you, but I can't hear enough NVC at the introductory level. With each new material or video, I hear something new. My understanding is further enriched.