Sunday, January 25, 2009

NVC parenting: when a child says "no"

I love this clip (here is the direct link if you can't view the video successfully here). Although, when I was really new to NVC and watched it the first time, I admit, I was scared and uncomfortable. I thought "I could never talk this way to my children, they would wonder what I'm trying to pull over on them. And besides, it sounds so unnatural... and would take way too much time!".



It took quite some learning and practicing of my own before I could recognize that in this video, Inbal is using 'classical giraffe' to talk to the child; this is a term NVC trainers use to describe the basic, introductory style of nonviolent communication. As awkward and stilted as it may sound, this fundamental approach is so important to practice in the beginning; as it is through the process of practicing this that one finds roots and can really begin to grow in the Compassionate Consciousness. I have found that as I become more grounded in NVC, a more colloquial (flowing or 'street') giraffe does come a lot more naturally. It is so important to remember that, ultimately, the goal it is NOT about mastering a specific language. It is a total consciousness shift, with primary goal to connect!